Sunday, April 5, 2009

Apple Kiwi Juice


For Christmas my parents gave Matt and I a wonderful juicer which has been key in kicking the "winter lasts too long" feeling. There is a market every Friday and Saturday in downtown Boston where vendors sell fruits and veggies that local grocery stores were unable to sell before getting their new shipment in. Anyways, the prices are ridiculously cheap (think 4 lbs of carrots for $1, box of strawberries for $1 in December!, etc) and the fruit/veggies are perfect for juicing because you have to consume them or freeze them pretty quickly. We tend to do a lot of orange/carrot juice, but this weekend I tried a few different batches and wanted to pass on one of my favorites: apply and kiwi. I used 2 granny smiths and 6 kiwis for about 2 servings of juice. The juice was a gorgeous green color and had quite a tang, plus it's loaded with vitamin C - perfect to fight off the spring colds that Matt seems to bring home from the kids (he's an elementary school teacher) this time of year. I might try macintoshes next time to see if it takes a bit of the kick out - it was a bit much for Matt - but I have to say that I really enjoyed the tanginess of the mix. If anyone has any good juicing ideas, please share, I'd love to keep experimenting.

PS. The pic is of an apple-picking trip we took this October: Jackie, Matt, Me, Jenn

No comments: