Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Banana Oat Bundles

I've been craving these little bundles (cross between a cookie and a muffin) for about two weeks and finally got around to making them tonight so I thought I'd share the recipe while I'm waiting for the last batch to come out of the oven. They're wheat and dairy free for those with allergies and very easy to make for those who need a little sweet and salty fix. The recipe is from Vive Le Vegan by Dreena Burton.

1 c. quick oats
1 c. ground quick oats (in a blender or food processor)
1/4 c. unrefined sugar
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon or ground cardamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp baking powder
1 c. overripe bananas (about 2 large ones), pureed (blender or food processor)
1 tsp vanilla extract
3-3 1/2 tbsp canola oil

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. In large bowl, combine the oats, ground oats, sugar, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg, and sift in the baking powder. Stir through until well combined.
3. In another bowl, combine the pureed banana, vanilla and canola oil, stirring through.
4. Add the wet mixture to the dry, stir through until just well combined.
5. Drop large spoonfuls onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
6. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until lightly golden.
7. Remove from oven and let cool on pan for 1 minute, then transfer to cooling rack.

2 comments:

Meaghan said...

I'm loving that you've joined the blog Sarah. These sound tasty! I will have to try them soon.

Sarahb said...

It's fun being involved, thanks for having me! It's nice to get to keep in touch through food. I did notice that I seem to only post desserts...guess it tells you a lot about me! Anyways, I hope you like the cookies, they're super easy to make and even easier to eat :)